Houston County Schools, in partnership with our stakeholders, will prepare students to lead productive lives and meet the high expectations of a competitive global society. In this pursuit, we will strive to become innovative, exemplary, and technology-rich centers for learning. We will inspire, challenge, and empower students to become responsible citizens and lifelong learners who are excited by the challenges of tomorrow. By implementing high quality, research-based educational strategies in a safe, secure, and nurturing environment, we will ensure the success of our students to compete in the twenty-first century. While sharing this vision, we will shape the future through perseverance, dedication, and teamwork.
Houston County Schools, believing that our children are our future, commit to a partnership with stakeholders, to provide safe, caring learning environments that encourage each student to achieve to his or her full potential.
About Our School
Ashford’s first school was established in the 1880’s (before the railway came through) and was located on the corner of Main Street and Sixth Avenue. It was under the direction of Professor M. Cherry. The next school, established in the early 1900’s, was located on the southeast corner of Adams and 3rd Avenue. It was under the direction of Professor J.W. Brown. This school was in the form of a wooden building consisting of four rooms and stood where the school gymnasium is today. The wooden structure was destroyed by fire in 1924; thus a movement began in the community to build a more modern school building. From 1924-1926 school was held in various local facilities. In 1926 a new brick building was completed. The school resumed under the leadership of Professor J. C. Parrish until 1940. Since that time many well respected principals have led AHS. They include H. A. Carlton, George Franklin, W. H. Brown, Wallace Smith, Riley Jo Andrews, Shirley McArdle and currently James Odom. (While Wallace Smith was principal in 1980, the school once again burned, leaving only the gymnasium and nearby classrooms.) The school was rebuilt in 1982, and has undergone various additions and renovations. Recently, Ashford High School underwent a building project which added eight new classrooms, an on-campus band room, and a boy’s and girl’s weight room facility.
The campus of Ashford High School houses approximately 875 students in grades six through twelve, as well as the special needs students of the Resource Room. AHS has graduated many generations of students and is the cornerstone of the community. The faculty and staff of Ashford High promote academics, athletics, and community involvement to their students.
The students of Ashford High School participate in many extracurricular activities such as football, cheerleading, volleyball, girls and boys basketball, softball, baseball, yearbook, Student Government, and band. Students are encouraged to join one or more of the many clubs of AHS. Choices include: English Club, Junior Civitans, Key Club, Junior and Senior Beta Club, FFA, FCA, FCCLA, Drama Club, First Priority, Junior and Senior Science Club, Multicultural Club, and FBLA. These clubs promote service to the school and community, and their members participate in many activities and field trips throughout the year.
During the spring Honors’ Day Program, Ashford High School students are presented awards to recognize their success. “A” and “A/B” Honor Roll Students receive certificates and the Accelerated Reader participates receive rewards. Scholarship presentations are made to the graduating seniors by college representatives from Auburn University, the University of Alabama, Wallace College, Alabama State University, Troy University, Tulsa, Stillman College, Lurlene B. Wallace Junior College, Huntingdon College, Faulkner University, Alabama Southern and others.