• Summer Driver's Education Announcements:

    Driver's Ed classes will begin registration for the 2023 summer session soon!

    Thank you for your interest in our classes. Registration is not open at this time, but please check back often, as we will post dates by the end of February.  As part of the Houston County Schools district, our classes are open to both county students and non-county students. County students are students enrolled in one of the following schools: Ashford High School, Cottonwood High School, Houston County High School, Rehobeth High School, Wicksburg High School, and the Houston County Virtual Academy. Non-county students are students enrolled in either a different school district (such as Dothan City Schools), a private school (ex: BCA, ECS, HA, NMA, PCS, etc.), or homeschool. 

    Registration Begins: To Be Announced

    Class Dates: To Be Announced

    Please see the other bullet points in the columns below for more information regarding the registration process, class procedures, and gold card tips.

  • Registration Information

    • Registration must be done in person at the HCCA front office. 
    • Registration forms may only be obtained from the HCCA front office at this time. You may stop by any time during our office hours to pick up a form/register. Our office hours are 7:30-3:00 Monday-Thursday, and 7:30-2:45 on Fridays. 
    • Please print the Parent Permission Slip located at the bottom of this page, complete, and turn in with the registration form. These forms will also be available at the HCCA front office. 
    • The registration fee for Non-County Students is $200 and is due at the time of registration. A Non-County student is one that is not a registered student in the Houston County Schools system. This fee can only be paid by CASH or CHECKS. We are unable to process debit/credit payments. If paying by check, please make it out to HCCA. 
    • A copy of your child's driving permit is also requiredfor registering for the class. It MUST be on file with our office in order for your child to participate in the driver's education program, and your registration is not complete without it. If your child does not turn 15 until May, you can still turn in the registration form, permission slip, and payment to temporarily reserve a slot. After your child receives their permit you can bring it by our office or you may email a clear, close-up picture of it to jernigan.shalane@hcboe.us.
  • Class Information

    • Students will meet at HCCA the first 5 days of the class from 8:00 am until 3:00 pm. Once the initial classroom days are completed, students will only be required to return to campus 2-3 days during the remainder of the month. These days are considered "driving days" and will be assigned by the instructor by the end of the fifth classroom day.
    • Classroom days by session:
      • Week 1 - June 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, & 13th
      • Week 2 - June 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, & 20th
      • Week 3 - July 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, & 18th
      • Week 5 - July 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, & 25th
    • Students are responsible for making arrangements for/or bringing lunch/snack each day. 


    Picture of a Student Driver Car

  • Gold Card Information

    • Students no longer receive a paper gold card, as the state has adapted an online/virtual gold card instead. 
    • If/when the driver skills test is passed, the student can either go online to renew their license or go to the State Trooper's office. However, it will have to be on a week day and may take 24-48 hours AFTER the student's birthday for the information to be updated into the system. This simply means that, due to the new online system, most students are not recognized by the state to receive their driver's license until the day after their 16th birthday, or that their information will still show a "y" restriction. In order to receive their license, the "y" restriction will need to be removed by the state.
    • Steps to see if the "y" restriction is lifted and license is ready to print (or system is up to date at the Trooper's office):
      • Go to alea.gov
      • Click "Renew License"
      • Enter all information and submit
      • Make sure "y" restriction is gone
      • If "y" restriction is gone, then the system is up to date, and you can print your new dirver's license OR go to the State Trooper's office to get it. HOWEVER, if the "y" restriction is still listed, their system has not been updated and it may take 24-48 hours to be lifted, so keep checking. 
Last Modified on January 19, 2023